** As you may be aware, step therapy, or “fail first” legislation, A.2834D (Titone) / S.3419C (Young), passed the NYS Senate and Assembly in the final week of the Legislative Session. Please take the time to call Governor Cuomo at 518-474-8390 and urge him to sign this legislation into law, as it’s in the best interest of New York patients and providers! Click here for more information on step therapy.
- The nation’s Doctors are split over President-elect Donald Trump’s choice of Representative Tom Price for Secretary of Health and Human Services.
- Democrats are calling for a “day of action” on January 15th to show opposition to Republican plans to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act. They’re planning rallies across the country.
- New data shows that hospitals with more bargaining power are paid 1.5 to 2.7 times as much for care by insurers as the lowest priced hospitals in the same market.
- Governor Cuomo this week announced new health insurance reforms intended to combat New York’s heroin and opioid addiction crisis.
- Fentanyl, a drug 100 times more powerful than morphine, has surpassed heroin as the deadliest drug on Long Island, having claimed the lives of at least 220 people there in 2016.
- Click here for upcoming meetings, hearings and events from the state Department of Health.
- The Empire Center for Public Policy is hosting a forum, Diagnosis: Disruption – HCRA, the ACA and NY’s Coming Healthcare Storm on January 10, 2017.