Your Weekly Dose of Health August 5, 2016
** As you may be aware, step therapy, or “fail first” legislation, A.2834D (Titone) / S.3419C (Young), passed the NYS Senate and Assembly in the final week of the Legislative Session. Please take the time to call Governor Cuomo at 518-474-8390 and urge him to sign this legislation into law, as it’s in the best interest of New York patients and providers! Click here for more information on step therapy
- An op-ed in Forbes discusses Hillary Clinton and health care for older Americans, particularly funding for Alzheimer’s research.
- An op-ed in the Wall Street Journal this week by Bob Kocher, one of President Obama’s healthcare policy experts, explains that his early belief in consolidating doctors into larger physician groups as a component to improving healthcare was ultimately misguided.
- Governor Cuomo this week announced an array of measures to combat the Zika Virus in New York. The Department of Health and the MTA are working together to limit potential breeding grounds for mosquitos within subway system.
- A recent audit from Comptroller DiNapoli found that the state hasn’t spent anything from the more than $1 million it has raised for promoting organ donation.
- The United Hospital Fund is holding its 2016 Gala on September 26th at the Waldorf-Astoria. See more here.
- The New York Academy of Sciences is hosting a conference on September 16th regarding the ethics and value of big data for obesity research.
- Philanthropy New York is hosting an event on September 27th about the challenges of the current health care work force.
- Click here for upcoming meetings, hearings and events from the state Department of Health.