– In his final state of the Union Address, President Obama announced a new initiative to find a cure for cancer. He put Vice President Joe Biden, who lost his son to brain cancer last year, in charge of the effort.
– Dr. Otis Brawley, chief medical officer for the American Cancer Society, wrote an op-ed in favor of the president’s initiative.
– Governor Cuomo, in his State of the State Address, announced a proposal to offer paid family leave. His plan calls for 12 weeks of paid family leave.
– The governor also announced a $20 billion plan to add 100,000 units of housing over the next five years.
New York City News:
– Mayor Bill de Blasio pledged to work with Governor Cuomo to find “efficiencies” and reform measures to curb increases in Medicaid costs. This came after the Governor had originally proposed to require New York City to cover more of the increases in Medicaid cost.
Upcoming Hearings and Events:
– The New York State Health Foundation and the United Hospital Fund will co-sponsor a conference on February 9th called “Health Care 2021: A Vision for New York”.
– Click here to see upcoming Department of Health meetings, hearings, and events.