Your Weekly Dose of Health July 29, 2016
** Please join us on August 3rd from 12 pm – 1 pm at West Capitol Park (facing S. Swan Street in Albany) for the “Don’t Fail Us” Rally, as we call on Governor Cuomo to sign the Step Therapy legislation, A.2834D (Titone) / S.3419C (Young), into law!
** We also ask that you take the time to call Governor Cuomo at 518-474-8390 and urge him to sign this legislation into law, as it’s in the best interest of New York patients and providers! Click here for more information on Step Therapy.
- An article from NPR this week details Vice Presidential candidate Tim Kaine’s record on major healthcare issues like the Affordable Care Act, mental health, abortion and public health.
- An editorial in the New York Times this week lauds the work of the Medicare Fraud Strike Force, which was expanded by under the Affordable Care Act. The piece condemns Republicans and others who want to weaken the ACA, saying that Medicare fraud prevention is too important.
- Remember the Ice-Bucket Challenge? Well, it turns out that the popular social media challenge made a big difference. Not only did it raise staggering amounts of ALS research money, but the research it funded led to a major breakthrough. Read more here.
- The Department of Financial Services issued additional guidance to help insure that health insurance companies provide equal services for people with mental health issues.
- Governor Cuomo announced arrests in both Syracuse and Binghamton of people selling synthetic marijuana, as part of an ongoing crackdown on the sale of these illegal drugs.
- The United Hospital Fund is holding its 2016 Gala on September 26th at the Waldorf-Astoria. See more here.
- The New York Academy of Sciences is hosting a conference on September 16th regarding the ethics and value of big data for obesity research.
- Philanthropy New York is hosting an event on September 27th about the challenges of the current health care work force.
- Click here for upcoming meetings, hearings and events from the state Department of Health.