Your Weekly Dose of Health July 8, 2016
** As you may be aware, step therapy, or “fail first” legislation, A.2834D (Titone) / S.3419C (Young), passed the NYS Senate and Assembly in the final week of the Legislative Session. Please take the time to call Governor Cuomo at 518-474-8390 and urge him to sign this legislation into law, as it’s in the best interest of New York patients and providers! Click here for more information on step therapy.
- A congressional conference committee is split after arguing over adding funds to pending legislation meant to combat opioid addiction. Democrats on the committee wanted the bill to include $920 million to help pay for drug treatment services.
- A federal appeals court this week struck down an Obama Administration health care rule barring the sale of certain health plans. The court ruled that consumers should be able to purchase health plans that don’t meet the Affordable Care Act’s high standards.
- The Department of Veteran’s Affairs released a study finding that the suicide rate among veterans has increased by 35 percent since 2001.
- The House of Representatives this week passed legislation to overhaul mental health care. The vote was overwhelmingly in favor, 422 – 2.
- Governor Cuomo this week announced an executive order to strengthen state regulations for day care centers. Under the new rules, the state will be able to close day care centers immediately for health and safety violations or low staffing.
- Lyme disease has become a central campaign issue in both parties for the Senate race in the 41st district (Hudson Valley).
- The United Hospital Fund is holding its annual Medicaid Conference on July 14th in New York City. Read more here.
- The Institute for Patient- and Family-Centered Care is hosting the 7th international conference on patient and family centered care on July 25th through the 27th. More details here.
- The United Hospital Fund is holding its 2016 Gala on September 26th at the Waldorf-Astoria. See more here.